posting all this material from your courses."|
— retired professor who visited this site
Are you looking for something in particular?
Site search engine:[ click here ]
Just want to browse?
Your two options:
1. Use the Site Index of all pages: [ click here ]
2. Linear: Follow the navigation arrows to go step by step to every page
Southern Nazarene University -- fulfilling the Great Commission
Howard Culbertson, emeritus professor of missions and world evangelism
- Feeling you might be called to Christian missionary service?
- 10 ways to avoid becoming a missionary: Ignore Jesus' words . . .
- Is God really calling you to global evangelism? Seek the counsel of mature Christians . . .
- Looking to the Bible for help?
Try these Bible study resources including links to online concordances.
- An appropriate humility Devotional thought for week
- Want to learn more about Christian missions? [ click here ]
Missionary case studies, internet links, world missions course materials, missionary sending organization, missions music
- Giving of yourself to world evangelism:
Mission opportunities: Short-term missions tripsFund raising principles   | Fund raising ideas you can use   | Re-entry Problems   | 10 ways to ruin a missions trip | SNU's overseas volunteer program   | Work & Witness opportunities |
Who am I?
Introductory missions book
by Charles Gailey and Howard Culbertson
Biblical basis of missions, mission history, short-term missions, the missionary call, culture, globalization of the church and of the missionary force, mobilizing a local church for world missions, and a peek into the future
From The Foundry or from online discount booksellers such as www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com -- more info
CD of teaching resources: If you use Discovering Missions as a course textbook, email me for a free CD of classroom teaching resources (PowerPoints, case studies, crossword puzzles, exam questions, video suggestions).
- Nazarene Missions International: Ideas and tips for generating world missions vision, prayer, finances and missionary recruits for the global harvest in your local church.94 Nazarene languages | Compassionate Ministry | Susan Fitkin biography | Deputation services | Our greatest challenge | NMI Goals | Nazarene missions history | NMI history | Missionary Medical Plan | Monthly emphases | Resources | Missions vision in two churches | 10/40 Window | | Work & Witness
- General Education and Adult Studies courses taught by Howard Culbertson
- What the SNU religion faculty believes and teaches
Three decades ago we came back to the USA from Haiti for what we thought would be a one-year "home assignment" or furlough. Southern Nazarene University knew that I had just finished a D.Min. in cross-cultural Christian missions from Denver Seminary. So, SNU asked if I would serve as the "Garner Chair of Missions" professor for that year, teaching classes on world evangelism and Christian missions while I also traveled to local churches promoting a global vision. That was in 1988.
Well, 25 years later when I retired, I was still there, teaching missiology or Christian missions, caring for the Missionary Kids who were SNU students, and directing world missions outreach projects, including Work & Witness projects. I spent most of the 90s as district Nazarene Missions International (NMI) president for the Nazarene churches of Northwest Oklahoma. My focus has been, and is the global harvest. I am still teaching online classes for Northwest Nazarene University, Nazarene Bible College and European Nazarene College.
This web site has materials and resources from my missions and world evangelism classes as well as from my promotional and mobilization work with the NMI. There are also pages for General Education classes which I also taught: Introduction to Biblical Literature, Christian Thought and Ministry, Church and Society.
"Missiology? What does that mean?"
Missiology is the study of cross-cultural, world missionary outreach. It looks at every aspect of missionary work.
NILI Ecuador -- YouTube video about my experience in a semester-abroad program where students learned Spanish
Missions course materials and syllabiCultural Anthropology Introduction to Missions Linguistics Missions Strategies Modern Missionary Movement (History of Missions) Nazarene Missions Church Growth and Christian Missions Theology of Missions Traditional Religions World Religions
Go to: Top of page | My Home Page | Master List\Index | | SNU Missions Program | Scripture index
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgment of the source would be appreciated.