Interview on the "missional church"
Books and articles by Howard Culbertson
- Missions: The Heart of God
- Series of brief on biblical passages relating to the cause of world evangelism (Isaiah 56:7, Psalm 22, Acts 1:8 . . .)
- Come Share the Dream
- Why would a person join the Church of the Nazarene? This article responds to a question posed by a university student.
- ECHO, SNU's student newspaper
- • Does Jesus care if we cuss? : A look at some Biblical passages as well as a reflection on the power of language [ read article ]
- • Lessons from Italy [ read article ]
- • Life's legacy Thoughts in the aftermath of my father-in-law's death [ read article ]
- • Is giving up something for Lent ultimately a selfish act? [ read article ]
- Miracles in Mexico
- One of the very first Nazarene Work and Witness trips was organized in April 1966 by Southern Nazarene University. Here's an article written just a few weeks after that trip. No one realized then what a big movement Work and Witness would become.
- A New Rallying Cry: Ministry Across the Curriculum
- Published in Faculty Dialogue, the journal of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
- Are you really feeding that starving child?
- The reasons I channel my compassionate giving through my church
- I threw my life away
- Given to the annual SNU honor society (Phi Delta Lambda) breakfast
- Brief devotional/inspirational articles
- • Illustrations from ham radio: Full Power and QTH: Port-au-Prince, Haiti — Amateur Radio devotionals published in The Transmitter
- • Seven days of devotionals published in Come Ye Apart
- • Two weeks of devotionals published in Come Ye Apart
- • Devotional thoughts which appeared in the weekly Standard
- Shepherd Community
- A look at Shepherd Community, a compassionate ministry center in the heart of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Some manuscripts that never made it into print
- Heartwarming campus stories
- "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type stories from the campus of Southern Nazarene University [ read stories ]
• Giving it away
• "I didn't want it to end"
• One bite at a time
• Deliverance from addiction
• It changed her life
• Oklahoma City bombing
- Jonah: The reluctant missionary
- An e-book about Jonah's relevance to today's missionary task [ read e-book ]
- God's Bulgarian tapestry
- An e-book about church planting by young university graduates in Bulgaria [ read e-book ]
- Alfredo Del Rosso: An Italian mastered by a vision
- An e-book biography of the founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in Italy
- Tough times: the breakup of a missionary team
- An unpublished manuscript that describes a classic case of bad interpersonal relationships on the mission field [ read article ]
- What is furlough?
- Some humorous (and even serious) thoughts on missionary furlough (now often called "home assignment") [ read article ]
- How entire is entire sanctification?
- A chapter in "I believe: Now tell me why," edited by Everett Leadingham [ read chapter ]
- Will the real me please stand up?
- A chapter on holy living in ""Living Out of the Mold," compiled by Jerry Hull [ read chapter ]
While many of the following books are out of print, copies can often be found at booksellers such as abebooks.com.
Discovering Missions2007, Beacon Hill Press of Kansas CityDiscovering Missions is a college-level textbook for "introduction to missions" classes. It is written in a way that makes it accessible to pastors and lay church leaders as well [ advertising flyer ] [ CD of teaching resources: If you use Discovering Missions as a course textbook, email me for a free CD of classroom teaching resources (PowerPoints, case studies, crossword puzzles, exam questions, video suggestions). ]
Our Balanced Attack: How Nazarenes Finance World Evangelism1991, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Our Balanced Attack looks at the way the Church of the Nazarene raises financial support for its missionary outreach, including a unified budget, special offerings, child sponsorship, disaster appeals, matching gifts, gifts "in kind"
The Kingdom Strikes Back: Signs of the Messiah at Work1990, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]The Kingdom Strikes Back examines the involvement of the Church of the Nazarene in Haiti in evangelism, health, child care, economic development, and literacy projects
Mr. Missionary, I Have a Question1987, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book onlineMr. Missionary gives answers to questions about Nazarene work in Haiti. The questions were encountered in 1983-84 during a year of deputation services in about 150 U.S. churches
Alfredo and His Impossible Dream1980, Nazarene Publishing HouseAlfredo and His Impossible Dream is a biography written for children about Alfredo Del Rosso, the Italian founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in Italy. [ more info ]
Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio1980, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio answers questions about missionary work in Italy. The questions were asked of the author in 1978-79 during home assignment deputation services in about 150 U.S. churches
Rookie Notebook: My First Nine Months as a Missionary1976, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Rookie Notebook recounts some of the cross-cultural encounters (and some lessons drawn from them) from the Culbertsons' first year as missionaries in Italy
Paul McGrady: Mr. Evangelism1969, Pedestal Press [ read book online ]Paul McGrady: Mr. Evangelism is a biography of a very popular evangelism professor at Southern Nazarene University who was killed in a tragic auto accident
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright 1999, 2000 - Last Updated: January 22, 2015 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/books.htm