Tempted to cheat on some schoolwork?
Before you do, read SNU's academic integrity policy
Cultural Anthropology course
Bwanda Fusa game
Christianity and culture
Course home page
"Ethics of change"
"Points of view"
Exam study guides
Kwast's culture model
Light bulb illustration
Missions and culture
My own culture shock
Reentry: Coming home
Research paper topics
94 languages of Nazarene World Mission Literature ministry
Improving the papers you hand in
How to listen to a boring lecture
Getting good grades
Ruining a missions trip
Spending a year overseas
10 ways to avoid becoming a missionary
Study of peoples and their cultures
Syllabi (in PDF format)
- Traditional semester course syllabus
- Cultural Anthropology course by arrangement
- Syllabus and all course materials for SNU's Bridge program
"I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb" - Revelation 7:9
This course will use a variety of learning resources, including videos and case studies.
- Interview assignment instructions
- Research paper
- Outside reading report form
- Case studies
- In-class worksheets
- Cultural bingo - an in-class game to illustrate more diversity than we often expect
- Gulliver's Travels, McDonald's restaurants and cultural anthropology
- ABCs of culture: Cultural anthropology alphabet worksheet
- Kwast's model of culture [ see diagram ]
- Worldviews and light bulbs A visual demonstration
- The perils of monoculturalism
- Christianity and culture: Niebuhr's classic analysis
- Up-to-date global statistics, including world population and number of languages
- Coping with culture shock (or cultural adjustment, as it has sometimes been called)
- Mini lecture on the encounter between gospel and culture (prepared for the course "World Evangelization") [ read lecture ]
- Milestones on the road to cross-cultural understanding
- Ten imperatives for Christian missionaries
- PowerPoint presentations
- What now? -- Using case studies [ view online ] [ download as PowerPoint ]
- The world from "my" perspective | download as PowerPoint
- Definition of cultural anthropology [ view online ] [ download PowerPoint ]
- Duane Elmer's culture shock response diagram | download as PowerPoint
- Cultural Anthropology's big names [ view online ] [ download as PowerPoint ]
- Drawbacks of cultural evolution models: A look at the flaws in the proposals regarding the evolution of culture by L.H. Morgan and others [ view online ] [ download as PowerPoint ]
- The iceberg of culture [ view online ] [ download as PowerPoint ]
- Religion and culture
- "Asian is not Oriental" (Word format)
- "Anthropological points of view" by Paul Hiebert
- "Congregational responsibility for the Christian individual" by Walter Trobisch
- "Ethics in change" by Charles Kraft
- "Mission and anthropology" by Paul Hiebert
- "Negative and positive value of anthropology to the missionary" by Alan Tippett
- "Verbal and nonverbal communication" by David Hesselgrave
- "Worldview and contextualization" by David Hesselgrave
- Exam study guides (Daytime course only) [ see guides]
- Cross-cultural worship service [ more info ]
- Bwanda Fusa Challenge - a delightful cross-cultural simulation game from the British office of Wycliffe Bible Translators — Class discussion guide
- Assignment samples
"The musical "Fiddler on the Roof" made much more sense after reading chapter 7 of our cultural anthropology textbook."
— Professional Studies student
How to cite Internet sources in your papers [ click here ]
Most courses at SNU contain a writing component.
I expect students to produce written work that is focused, well developed, organized and relatively free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Papers falling short of this standard will not be graded. That work will be returned to the students for further revision and resubmission.
See my writing checklist.
How diverse are we?
Have you played cultural bingo? [ read more ]
SNU missions course materials and syllabiCultural Anthropology Introduction to Missions Linguistics Missions Strategies Modern Missionary Movement (History of Missions) Nazarene Missions Church Growth and Christian Missions Theology of Missions Traditional Religions World Religions
Go to: Top of page | My Home Page | Master List\Index | | SNU Home Page | Scripture index
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgement of the source will be appreciated.