Cross-cultural worship service attendance assignment
This assignment is designed to send you on a cross-cultural field trip. The worship part is not the central issue; finding yourself as a minority in a situation where you may be uncertain what is expected of you is the central issue.
In your 1- to 2-page report, don't tell me how you discovered people can worship in any culture. In fact, don't focus on the worship event itself.
I'm looking for what you felt. I want you to process whatever uncomfortable moments you felt. You may tell me that you did discover that God speaks more than one language.
Do not report on an experience you had months or years ago before this course began. It must be an experience you have had since starting this class on Cultural Anthropology.
- Go to a church in language you do not speak (Spanish or Korean, for instance)
- Go to a church whose members have a different skin color than you (multi-racial churches do not count).
- Addresses and phones in Oklahoma City for Hindu temple, Islamic mosques, Jewish synagogues and others [ see listing ]
- Those for whom visiting an all-black church would be a cross-cultural experience can find three to four pages of church advertisements in the print edition of "The Black Chronicle," Oklahoma's weekly African-American newspaper. [ web site (which doesn't have advertisements) ]
- Sample student reports [ Report 1: click here ] [ Report 2: click here ]
SNU missions course materials and syllabiCultural Anthropology Introduction to Missions Linguistics Missions Strategies Modern Missionary Movement (History of Missions) Nazarene Missions Church Growth and Christian Missions Theology of Missions Traditional Religions World Religions
Go to: Top of page | My Home Page | Master List\Index | | SNU Home Page | Scripture index
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgement of the source will be appreciated.