Volunteering for a year: the "Mormon model"
Improving the papers you hand in
How to listen to a boring lecture
How to get a good grade in my classes
Compassionate ministries philosophy
African pastor: "I am committed."
|Is your class group not working
To deal with unproductive group members, click here
This course will respond to issues like: Is Christ the only way? What is our scriptural and theological foundation for evangelizing the whole world? Does the global mandate begin with Jesus' Great Commission? What about those who have never heard of the name of Jesus? What about those "gentiles" who lived and died prior to Jesus' birth? What does sincerity in following one's own religion count for? In what ways does our culture shape our theology? Is it possible to respond to religious pluralism without falling into either a narrow dogmatism on the one hand, or an uncritical relativism on the other?
- Course syllabus
- Phone numbers for various religious groups in OKC (for interview project)
- Question possibilities for group presentations
- Diamond poem instructions
- Will those who have never heard the gospel be lost? Here's a summary of the positions taken by believers on this question: Are the heathen (the unevangelized) really lost?
- Knowing if you are called to missionary service
- Brief lecture on "Biblical foundations for missions"
- Canaan -- strategic land bridge: How strategic was God's choice of a land for His people?
- Live-and-convert philosophy -- thoughts on Luke 5 and 6
- Among all nations with power -- thoughts on Luke 24:49
- Case studies
- PowerPoint presentations
- Exam study guides [ click here ]
- Instructions for exegesis paper
- Scenarios for group discussions in class
- Sample term paper (not a perfect paper, just a sample of a paper that meets the course expectations) [ view paper ]
- Jonah, the reluctant missionary -- an Old Testament story helps answer the question: "Are the heathen really lost?"
How to cite internet sources in your papers
Most courses at SNU contain a writing component.
I expect students to produce written work that is focused, well developed, organized and relatively free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Papers falling short of this standard will not be graded. That work will be returned to the students for further revision and resubmission.
See my writing checklist.
Which question will your group present to the class?
Want to get started on preparing your in-class group presentation? [ read more ]
Theology of Missions resources on the Internet
- Dictionary of missions terms
- "Context ualization: Building bridges to the Muslim community", an article by Jim Leffel that considers models of contextualization as they relate to Islam
- "Toward a missiology of western culture" by Mike Goheen [ read article ]
- One hundred and fifty years ago Charles Spurgeon preached a message on the biblical basis for world evangelism. That sermon, based on Paul's Macedonian vision recorded in Acts 16:9, was entitled "The Cry of the Heathen"
- Theological Research Exchange Network: Articles on missiological topics [ go to site ]
- Don Richardson: Is there a "peace child" analogy for Islam? [ read Christianity Today interview ]
Other SNU missions course materials and syllabiCultural Anthropology Introduction to Missions Linguistics Missions Strategies Modern Missionary Movement (History of Missions) Nazarene Missions Church Growth and Christian Missions Traditional Religions World Religions
Go to: Top of page | My Home Page | Master List\Index | | SNU Home Page | Scripture index
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgement of the source will be appreciated.