Books and articles by Howard Culbertson
- Missions: The Heart of God
- Series of brief on biblical passages relating to the cause of world evangelism (Isaiah 56:7, Psalm 22, Acts 1:8 . . .)
- "The Gentile Pentecost"
- Acts 10 and Peter's description of what happened at the house of Simon the Tanner. Published in Illustrated Bible Life.
- Come Share the Dream
- Why would a person join the Church of the Nazarene? This article responds to a question posed by a university student.
- ECHO, SNU's student newspaper
- • Does Jesus care if we cuss? : A look at some Biblical passages as well as a reflection on the power of language
- • Lessons from Italy
- • Life's legacy Thoughts in the aftermath of my father-in-law's death [ read article ]
- • Is giving up something for Lent ultimately a selfish act?
- Miracles in Mexico
- One of the very first Nazarene Work and Witness trips was organized in April 1966 by Southern Nazarene University. Here's an article written just a few weeks after that trip. No one realized then what a big movement Work and Witness would become.
- A New Rallying Cry: Ministry Across the Curriculum
- Published in Faculty Dialogue, the journal of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
- Are you really feeding that starving child?
- The reasons I channel my compassionate giving through my church
- I threw my life away
- Given to the annual SNU honor society (Phi Delta Lambda) breakfast
- Brief devotional/inspirational articles
- • Illustrations from ham radio: Full Power and QTH: Port-au-Prince, Haiti — Amateur Radio devotionals published in The Transmitter
- • Seven days of devotionals published in Come Ye Apart
- • Two weeks of devotionals published in Come Ye Apart
- • Devotional thoughts which appeared in the weekly Standard
- Shepherd Community
- A look at Shepherd Community, a compassionate ministry center in the heart of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Some manuscripts that never made it into print
- Heartwarming campus stories
- "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type stories from the campus of Southern Nazarene University • Giving it away
• "I didn't want it to end"
• One bite at a time
• Deliverance from addiction
• It changed her life
• Oklahoma City bombing
- Jonah: The reluctant missionary
- An e-book about Jonah's relevance to today's missionary task
- God's Bulgarian tapestry
- An e-book about church planting by young university graduates in Bulgaria
- Alfredo Del Rosso: An Italian mastered by a vision
- An e-book biography of the founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in Italy
- Tough times: the breakup of a missionary team
- An unpublished manuscript that describes a classic case of bad interpersonal relationships on the mission field
- What is furlough?
- Some humorous (and even serious) thoughts on missionary furlough (now often called "home assignment")
- A look at the Nazarene Theological Education by Extension program in Haiti (D.Min. Project report)
- How entire is entire sanctification?
- A chapter in "I believe: Now tell me why," edited by Everett Leadingham
- Will the real me please stand up?
- A chapter on holy living in ""Living Out of the Mold," compiled by Jerry Hull
While many of the following books are out of print, copies can often be found at booksellers such as abebooks.com.
Discovering Missions2007, Beacon Hill Press of Kansas CityDiscovering Missions is a college-level textbook for "introduction to missions" classes. It is written in a way that makes it accessible to pastors and lay church leaders as well [ advertising flyer ] [ CD of teaching resources: If you use Discovering Missions as a course textbook, email me for a free CD of classroom teaching resources (PowerPoints, case studies, crossword puzzles, exam questions, video suggestions). ]
Our Balanced Attack: How Nazarenes Finance World Evangelism1991, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Our Balanced Attack looks at the way the Church of the Nazarene raises financial support for its missionary outreach, including a unified budget, special offerings, child sponsorship, disaster appeals, matching gifts, gifts "in kind"
The Kingdom Strikes Back: Signs of the Messiah at Work1990, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]The Kingdom Strikes Back examines the involvement of the Church of the Nazarene in Haiti in evangelism, health, child care, economic development, and literacy projects
Mr. Missionary, I Have a Question1987, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book onlineMr. Missionary gives answers to questions about Nazarene work in Haiti. The questions were encountered in 1983-84 during a year of deputation services in about 150 U.S. churches
Alfredo and His Impossible Dream1980, Nazarene Publishing HouseAlfredo and His Impossible Dream is a biography written for children about Alfredo Del Rosso, the Italian founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in Italy. [ more info ]
Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio1980, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio answers questions about missionary work in Italy. The questions were asked of the author in 1978-79 during home assignment deputation services in about 150 U.S. churches
Rookie Notebook: My First Nine Months as a Missionary1976, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book online ]Rookie Notebook recounts some of the cross-cultural encounters (and some lessons drawn from them) from the Culbertsons' first year as missionaries in Italy
Paul McGrady: Mr. Evangelism1969, Pedestal Press [ read book online ]Paul McGrady: Mr. Evangelism is a biography of a very popular evangelism professor at Southern Nazarene University who was killed in a tragic auto accident
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright 1999, 2000 - Last Updated: October 27, 2018 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/books.htm