Home page Site search Site
Books and articles I've written (including unpublished stuff)
- Missions: The Heart of God
- Series of brief on biblical passages relating to the cause of world evangelism (Isaiah 56:7,
Psalm 22, Acts 1:8 . . .)
- "The Gentile Pentecost"
- Acts 10 and Peter's description of what happened at the house of Simon the Tanner.
Published in Illustrated Bible Life.
- "Did the Apostle Paul believe in the Great Commission?"
- Since the Apostle Paul never quoted Jesus' Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20), did
he believe in it? Published in Illustrated Bible Life.
- "Stewardship: It's a big deal"
- Stewardship is about more than just money. Published in Illustrated Bible
- Come Share the Dream
- Why would a person join the Church of the Nazarene? This
article responds to a question posed by a university student.
- ECHO, SNU's student newspaper
- • Does Jesus care if we cuss? : A look at
some Biblical passages as well as a reflection on the power of language
- • Lessons from Italy
- • Life's legacy Thoughts in the aftermath of
my father-in-law's death
- • Is giving up something for Lent ultimately a selfish
- Miracles in Mexico
- One of the very first Nazarene Work and Witness trips was organized in April 1966 by
Southern Nazarene University. Here's an article written just a few weeks after that trip. No one
realized then what a big movement Work and Witness would become.
- A New
Rallying Cry: Ministry Across the Curriculum
- Published in Faculty Dialogue, the journal of the Council for Christian Colleges and
- Are you really feeding that starving child?
- The reasons I channel my compassionate giving through my church
- I threw my life away
- Given to the annual SNU honor society (Phi Delta Lambda) breakfast
- Brief devotional/inspirational articles
- • Illustrations from ham radio: Full Power and QTH:
Port-au-Prince, Haiti — Amateur Radio devotionals published in The
- • Seven days of devotionals published in Come Ye
- • Two weeks of devotionals published in Come Ye
- • Devotional thoughts which appeared in the weekly
- Shepherd Community
- A look at Shepherd Community, a compassionate ministry center in the heart of
Some manuscripts that never made it into print
- Heartwarming campus stories:"Chicken Soup for the
Soul" type stories from the campus of Southern Nazarene University
- Giving it away
- "I didn't want it to end"
- One bite at a time
- Deliverance from addiction
- It changed her life
- Oklahoma City bombing
- Jonah: The reluctant missionary
- An e-book about Jonah's relevance to today's missionary task
- God's Bulgarian tapestry
- An e-book about church planting by young university graduates in Bulgaria
- Alfredo Del Rosso: An Italian mastered by a vision
- An e-book biography of the founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in
- Tough times: the breakup of a missionary team
- An unpublished manuscript that describes a classic case of bad interpersonal relationships
on the mission field
- What is missionary home assignment?
- Some humorous (and even serious) thoughts on missionary furlough (now often called
- A look at the Nazarene Theological Education by Extension
program in Haiti (D.Min. Project report)
- How entire is entire sanctification?
- A chapter in "I believe: Now tell me why," edited by Everett Leadingham
- Will the real me please stand up?
- A chapter on holy living in ""Living Out of the Mold," compiled by Jerry Hull
While many of the following books are out of print, copies can often be
found at booksellers such as abebooks.com.
2007, Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City
Discovering Missions is a college-level textbook for "introduction to
missions" classes. It is written in a way that makes it accessible to both pastors and lay church
leaders Online as an e-Book [ advertising
flyer ] [ Free teaching resources: (PowerPoints, case studies,
crossword puzzles, exam questions, video suggestions) on Google Drive: https://tinyurl.com/y774mfer ]
Our Balanced Attack: How Nazarenes Finance World Evangelism
1991, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book
Our Balanced Attack looks at the way the Church of the Nazarene raises
financial support for its missionary outreach, including a unified budget, special offerings, child
sponsorship, disaster appeals, matching gifts, gifts "in kind"
The Kingdom Strikes Back: Signs of the Messiah at Work
1990, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book
The Kingdom Strikes Back examines the involvement of the Church of the
Nazarene in Haiti in evangelism, health, child care, economic development, and literacy
Mr. Missionary, I Have a Question
1987, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book
Mr. Missionary gives answers to questions about
Nazarene work in Haiti. The questions were encountered in 1983-84 during a year of deputation
services in about 150 U.S. churches
1980, Nazarene Publishing House
Alfredo and His Impossible Dream is a biography written for children about
Alfredo Del Rosso, the Italian founder of the work of the Church of the Nazarene in Italy. [
more info ]
Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio
1980, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book
Pasta, Pizza and Pinocchio answers questions about missionary work in
Italy. The questions were asked of the author in 1978-79 during home assignment deputation
services in about 150 U.S. churches
Rookie Notebook: My First Nine Months as a Missionary
1976, Nazarene Publishing House [ read book
Rookie Notebook recounts some of the cross-cultural encounters (and some
lessons drawn from them) from the Culbertsons' first year as missionaries in Italy
p>1969, Pedestal Press [ read book
Paul McGrady: Mr. Evangelism is a biography of a very popular
evangelism professor at Southern Nazarene University who was killed in a tragic auto
-- Howard Culbertson
Are the "heathen" lost? Answers to an
oft-asked question 10/40 Window explanation
and map Seeking God's
will? African martyr's
commitment Mission trip
fundraising Ten ways to ruin mission
trips PowerPoint presentations used in
classes Nazarene Missions International
World missions course materials and syllabi
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132
| Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgment of the source would