Is the hand of God at work in current events?
"There are five phenomena which God is using in the
world today to lead people to Himself," said J. Dudley Woodberry of Fuller
Theological Seminary. Those phenomena, while not necessarily "caused" by God, are certainly
being used by Him. These phenomena offer opportunities for evangelism not only for
missionaries in other countries, but also for churches in the U.S. The five phenomena are:
- Political changes
- Events such as the rise of Islamic fundamentalism and the collapse of entrenched political
systems often produce a climate of uncertainty that offers opportunities for proclaiming the
- Natural disasters
- Earthquakes, droughts and floods find Christian relief agencies giving "a cup of cold water"
in Christ's name to people who formerly were antagonistic to Christianity
- Displaced peoples who become disillusioned after they have migrated into cities seeking
better economic opportunities or fleeing tribal warfare often are receptive to the gospel
- Hunger for spiritual power
- People steeped in folk religions often have pronounced, unsatisfied spiritual hunger. That
opens them to the gospel.
- Ethnic and cultural resurgence
- Because of today's greater contextual understanding, people
can see that they do not need to give up their cultural heritage when they become
Should you join my church?
|Do you share the same dreams and commitments as
Nazarenes? [ more ]|
Window explanation and map Seeking God's
will? African martyr's
commitment Mission trip fundraising
Ten ways to ruin mission trips
Ministry, Church and Society resources