The hand of God at work in current events
Want more out of life?
Searching for God's will?
An African martyr's statement on commitment
Mission trip fund raising
10 ways to ruin mission trips
MCS course resources
Share on Facebook
"There are five phenomena that God is using in the world today to lead people to Himself," says J. Dudley Woodberry of Fuller Theological Seminary. Those phenomena, while not necessarily "caused" by God, are being used by Him. These phenomena offer evangelistic opportunities not only for missionaries in other countries, but also for churches in the U.S. The five phenomena are:
- Political changes
- The rise of Islamic fundamentalism and the collapse of systems like communism produce climates of uncertainty in which the gospel can be effectively proclaimed
- Natural catastrophes
- Earthquakes, droughts and floods find Christian relief agencies giving "cups of cold water in Christ's name" to people who formerly were antagonistic to Christianity
- Dispossessed peoples who become disillusioned after they have migrated into cities seeking better economic opportunities or fleeing tribal warfare often are receptive to the gospel
- Hunger for spiritual power
- People steeped in folk religions often have pronounced, unsatisfied spiritual hungers. That opens them to the gospel.
- Ethnic and cultural resurgence
- Because of today's greater contextual understanding, people can see that they need not give up their cultural heritage when they become Christian.
Should you join my church?
|Do you share the same dreams and commitments as Nazarenes? [ read more ]|
SNU missions course materials and syllabi
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: January 7, 2015 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/current.htm