Pick one: Ten starter questions for missions council meetings
Icebreaker questions and conversation starters for world missions committee meetings
At the beginning of a meeting of your missions council or committee, use one of the
following questions, asking for short responses. This instant participation by everybody will be
helpful in drawing in shy members. Another benefit of the responses is that they help group
members understand a little better what makes each other tick.
- What first awakened your interest in world missions?
- When someone says "missionary," whose name comes to your mind first?
- What one word would describe your dream for the ideal world missions convention?
- At what age do you first remember something about world missions?
- What is one exciting thing happening in your world?
- If you were offered a free ticket to a global mission field of your choice, where would you
- What three words described the last missions convention you experienced?
- If you could entertain or host a global missionary or a global missionary couple in your home
who would it be? Why?
- Complete this sentence. "If I had $100,000 to contribute to one world mission field, it would
be . . ." Tell why.
- Describe a global missionary in one word.
Thought-provoking questions like these will encourage conversations about the task of world
evangelism. It will help people on the council or committee open up and voice their motivations
and passion for the cause of ends-of-the-earth outreach.
Adapted from "Suggestions for roll call" by Evelyn Sutton
"Your site is great! You have restored my hope for the future of Nazarene World
Missions!" -- Kristi S.
Want to motivate your missions council or committee?
Give them candy gifts.
Candy rewards for global mission council members -- ideas from Bev Borbe and
- Vice president - "Working with you is a joy!"
(Almond Joy candy bar)
- Secretary - "I have a symphony of praise for you"
(Hershey's Symphony candy bar)
- Treasurer - "You're worth a 100 grand and more"
(100 Grand Milk Chocolate candy bar)
- Prayer/Fasting - "Your prayers are a
lifesaver to unreached peoples" (Lifesavers)
- Alabaster secretary - "You are a
treasure to world evangelism" (Nestles Treasures Milk Chocolate Carmel Candy)
- Membership secretary - "Let's stick together" (Pack or stick
- Links1 secretary - "For all
the hugs and kisses your work sends around the world" (either Hershey's Hugs or
- Global awareness secretary - "You're a smart cookie!
Thanks for your help" (A large cookie, or bag of cookies)
- World Evangelism Broadcast
secretary - "MARS - One of the few places World Evangelism Broadcast isn't! Thanks for all you
do to send WEB everywhere!" (Mars
- Compassionate Ministries
coordinator - "Appreciation for the mounds of love you encourage around the world"
- Nazarene Mission Team
coordinator2 - "You are a big hunk of help to missions" (Big Hunk
- Two candy bars for everyone!
- 3 Musketeers Bar - "Thanks for being part of the team!"
(Romans 12:5-8: "All for one and one for all")
- Hershey's or Nestles Miniatures - "There's nothing miniature about your love for
Use individually as listed. Or, use a quantity of any one candy for all the council members.
Give as thanks for a job well done. Give as holiday or birthday gifts. Give as an end-of-the year
award, or simply to say thanks for coming to a council meeting.
Every bit of appreciation you give will create an abundance of goodwill and subsequent hard
work. Don't neglect rewards. Michael Leboeuf, author of The Greatest Management
Principle in the World was right when he wrote, "Behavior that gets rewarded
1 Program in which local churches "adopt" a Nazarene
missionary family. The was originally an acronym standing for Loving and Interested Nazarenes
Knowing and Serving. As an acronym, links does not work in other languages. So, with the
Nazarene global mission force now coming from about 60 different countries, just the word links
or its equivalent translation is used. [ more info ]
2Short term mission teams (most often to meet construction needs) [ more info ]
-- Howard Culbertson,
You might also like