"'Do you understand what you are reading?' Philip asked." -- Acts 8:30
Lyle Pointer published a series of "spiritual conversation starters" in a little brochure. His suggested opening lines for soul winning conversations were:
- Do you give much thought to God and spiritual things?
- Tell me about your most memorable spiritual experience.
- What do you think is a person's greatest spiritual need?
- Tell me about your church background; did you go to church as a child?
- How do you feel about your upbringing and your awareness of spiritual things?
- How would you describe your life with God now?
- How do you think a person begins a personal relationship with God?
- When did you feel closest to God?
- What factors or influences brought you nearer to God?
- What would renew that sense of closeness?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being closest to God), where do you see yourself in relationship with God?
- Where do you want to be?
- How do you see yourself moving closer to God?
- How can I encourage you to get to where you would like to be?
Dr. Pointer gives some words of advice to those wanting to use his conversation starters:
- Ask questions that tie into former conversations.
- Listen closely. Be sensitive.
- Proceed as long as your friend shows interest.
- Affirm any amount of truth or insight offered.
Additional witnessing / soul-winning resources
- Should attempts at sharing our faith with other people take into account the journey they are on? How serious are we . . ? More . . .
- Wouldn't you like to have faith in something? . . ? More . . .
- Want to take conversations with a friend to a deeper level? Interjecting the right question can make that happen. [ lists of questions ]
- Writing your testimony
- Walking away -- a personal evangelism, soul-winning case study [ read case study ]
- Witnessing scenarios
- How to witness: a PowerPoint presentation on relational evangelism [ view presentation ] [ open as PowerPoint ]
|What should leaders do when key people in a congregation have unresolved morality issues? [ read more ]|
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: January 12, 2015 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/starters.htm