Are the "heathen" really lost?
Listening to a boring lecture
How to get good grades in my classes
Improving your written papers
Searching for God's will?
|Tempted to cheat on some schoolwork?|
Before you do, read SNU's academic integrity policy
This is a course in the methodology of missions. It will cover all kinds of issues. Sometimes I've even told students that it is subtitled "Coffee Break on the Mission Field" since we will talk about many of the things that missionaries talk about when they get together:
- Use of radio in evangelism
- Missionary and national church relationships
- Leadership training models
- Starting in brand new countries
- Church planting
- Bible translation
- Educating their kids
- Effective management of resources in Christian missions
- TED talk: Admitting failure -- international aid
- 10 Imperatives for Christian missionaries
- Conflict management strategies
- Case studies
- Secret scribblings of a missionary on furlough
- 10/40 Window map and explanation
- Cycle of despair for the poor in less developed nations
- World population statistics, number of languages and other global data
- Harvest is great; workers are few
- PowerPoint: Christian community and economic development
- Working in groups
- Exam study guides
- Sampling of "topic paper" ideas
- Sample "topic" paper
In the "What-will-they-think-of-next?" department
Check out the new bullet-proof polo shirts at geek.com. (Just go to http://www.gizmag.com/bullet-pr oof-polo-shirt/10187/ and search for "polo shirts".) These might seem like the latest fashion-conscious missionary-wear. However, check out the price tag.
Links to Internet resources for this course
Most courses at SNU contain a writing component.
I expect students' written work to be focused, well developed, organized and relatively free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Papers falling too far short of this standard may simply be returned without a grade to the students for revision and resubmission.
See my writing checklist.
Other SNU missions course materials and syllabiCultural Anthropology Introduction to Missions Linguistics Modern Missionary Movement (History of Missions) Nazarene Missions Church Growth and Christian Missions Traditional Religions World Religions
Go to: Top of page | My Home Page | Master List\Index | | SNU Home Page | Scripture index
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
Updated: February 6, 2019