These are not necessarily the "15 Best Loved" chapters of the Bible. They may not even be the "15 Most Well Known" chapters. One hesitates to even call them the "15 Most Significant" chapters.
These are 15 chapters with key scriptural events and themes. At Southern Nazarene University, we think a beginning student of the Bible should be familiar with them.
Old Testament chapters
- Genesis 1-3: Creation, Fall, first promise of a Redeemer
- "In the beginning"
- Genesis 12: Abraham's call, a giant step toward fulfilling the promise
- "Through you all peoples will be blessed" [ Was having Abraham move to the Promised Land a "strategic move" by God? ]
- Exodus 20: Giving of the Ten Commandments
- "I am the Lord your God"
- Joshua 24: The "line in the sand"
- "Choose you this day"
- Isaiah 53: The "suffering servant" passage that looks to the coming Messiah
- "The Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all"
- Psalm 23: The Shepherd's Psalm
- "The Lord is my shepherd" [ Devotional thoughts on Psalm 23 ]
- Psalm 51: David's prayer for forgiveness and cleansing
- "Create in me a clean heart, O God"
- Proverbs 31: Ode to a virtuous, godly woman
- "Far more precious than jewels"
New Testament chapters
- Matthew 5-7: Sermon on the Mount [ Devotional thoughts ]
- "Blessed are you . . ."
- John 17: Jesus' High Priestly Prayer
- "Sanctify them" [ more info ]
- Acts 2: Holy Spirit's coming on Day of Pentecost
- "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit"
- Acts 15: Jerusalem Council: Must one become a Jew to be a Christian?
- "He has made no distinction between them and us"
- 1 Corinthians 13: Love chapter
- "The greatest of these is love"
- Hebrews 11: Hall of fame: heroes of the faith
- "By faith . . ."
- Revelation 7: The Grand Finale
- "A great multitude that no man could count"
|Go to:||BibLit|||||Biblical Perspectives|
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: January 11, 2015 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/keychap.htm