How to pray for missionaries — Prayer and missions
"Pray for us." -- Hebrews 13:18
Making your "concerts of prayer" effective: Praying for world evangelism's front-line workers
Want to know how to pray for those working to fulfill Jesus' Great Commission among those yet unreached?
Use your fingers as memory aids when you pray for missions. Here's how fingers can be prayer reminders:
Since your thumb is nearest to you, begin by praying for those missionaries closest to you. They are the easiest ones to remember. C.S. Lewis said that praying for those we love is a "sweet duty."
- Index or pointing finder
Let your "pointing finger" remind you to pray for missionaries who teach, instruct, and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and evangelists. They need support and wisdom for pointing others in the right direction.
- Middle finger
Our tallest finger reminds us of our church leaders. We can never pray too much for them. Pray for those who supervise and direct missionary outreach.
- Ring finger
As any piano teacher will testify, the ring finger is our weakest finger. This weaker finger reminds us to pray for those missionaries who are discouraged, in trouble, or in pain. [ read more ]
- Little finger
Our little finger is the smallest of the digits on our hands, which is where we should place our individual wants and desires in relation to world evangelism needs. The Bible says, "The least shall be the greatest among you." Let your pinkie remind you to pray for the people of the world who have the greatest need to find Jesus. Pray that they will open their eyes and see Him.
contributed by Bev Borbe, former general president of Nazarene Missions International
Intercessory prayer support is a key thing that believers in local churches can do to support world evangelism. "All movements of the Spirit in China, within our experience, may be traced to prayer" said Jonathan Goforth, missionary
Seven things all missionaries need . . . and which people forget to lift them up in prayer over:
- Victory over mental stagnation
- Freshness in prayer and in Bible teaching
- Guidance in how to present the Gospel
- Deliverance from the temptation to pride
- Wisdom in relationships with other missionaries
- Strength to overcome temptations brought on by loneliness [ read more ]
- A saving sense of humor [ read more ]
Adapted from WorldTeam 's brochure, "Praying for missionaries."
From a missionary: Specifics to pray for
When traveling . . .
- That missionaries will pass effortlessly through customs and immigration lines
- That the planes on which missionaries travel will not encounter mechanical problems or trouble from terrorists
- That our missionaries will make all their connections
Health and safety objectives
- Protection for the missionaries from accidents, crime, natural disasters, terrorists, and dangerous animals
- Protection for the missionaries from sickness
- That missionaries will find time for proper sleep, rest, and exercise
- That missionaries' food and water needs will be met
Spiritual watchcare objectives
- Times of intimacy for missionaries with Jesus in Bible, prayer and worship
- Shielding for the missionaries from dark forces in spiritual realms
- Preservation for missionaries from discouragement, fear, and doubt
- That missionaries will demonstrate purity, humility, boldness, wisdom, patience, love for people, a teachable spirit and the power of the Holy Spirit
- That teams of missionaries will experience and express unity, love, good communication, patience, and spiritual gifts [ more on conflict management ]
- That missionaries will resist temptations toward jealousy, envy, bitterness, and pride
- That missionaries will be granted grace for cultural adjustments, dealing with jet lag, being away from family and friends and lack of privacy. [ more on culture shock ]
- For missionaries to have wisdom to design and implement effective efforts that will make a long-term difference here . . . and that they will be able to establish and maintain a solid friendships with government officials and other leaders in their chosen land.
Verses to read at prayer time
- Exodus 4:12; 33:14
- Psalms 4:8, 19:14, 121:1-8
- Isaiah 40:29-31; 55:10-11
- Zechariah 4:6
- Acts 1:8, 4:29,30
- Ephesians 3:16-20; 6:10-20
Portions adapted from an article by Gail Seiver in World Christian, Vol. 14, Number 4.
BLESS -- an acronym to guide your prayer for a missionary or for a people group
- B -- Body
- Pray for physical health and nutrition.
- L - Labor.
- Pray for their work.
- E - Emotions.
- Pray for emotional health and well-being of the missionary or people group.
- S - Social.
- Pray for their social relations, their families and extended families. Pray that God will keep marriages together.
- S - Spiritual.
- Pray for their spiritual condition.contributed by CMA missionary Lisa Miriam Rohrick
NMI Prayer Mobilization Line
Prayer requests from Nazarene Missions International, updated at least twice weekly [ click here ]
For more on why we should pray for missions, go to the listing of Bible passages that illustrate how important world evangelism is to God
Howard Culbertson, Southern Nazarene University, 6729 NW 39th, Bethany, OK 73008 | Phone: 405-491-6693 - Fax: 491-6658
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: January 5, 2010 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/hand.htm