Are you struggling with meeting the expectations for the required online response or "participation" notes? Here is a rubric that may help you improve those as well as other pieces of writing.
Levels of written work
- Level 0 - The response is little more than "I agree."
- Level 1 - Information from the textbook or other sources is simply recited or repeated.
- Level 2 - Ideas are being connected through mental processing that goes beyond a rote response.
- Level 3 - Students explain their thinking and even move on to generalizing. There is a visible line of reasoning and some use of supporting evidence.
- Level 4 - Students synthesize and analyze complex ideas or themes. They lay out hypotheses and supporting evidence in ways that can stimulate others to consider new perspectives.
Make sure your online response posts are at least Level 2 quality. Level 3 is even better!
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132 | Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax:
Copyright © 2002 - Last Updated: January 14, 2015 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/response.htm
You have permission to reprint what you just read. Use it in your ezine, at your web site or in your newsletter. Please include the following footer:
Article by Howard Culbertson. For more original content like this, visit: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert