Theology of Missions
Group presentation questions
The Theology of Missions class will be divided up into groups of 4 or 5 people. Each group
will select one of these questions (two groups may not use the same question) which they will
research together and prepare a presentation for the entire class.
This list of questions is not closed. That is, the group may ask for permission to deal with a
variation of one of these questions or even with a question not listed here.
Group presentations will be enriched if liberal use is made of illustrations from the literature
on the topics.
- What happens to the unevangelized heathen who die without ever having heard of Jesus?
What are the various positions that have historically been taken (and by whom) on this
- How far can one adapt the Christian faith to a new culture and it still be Christian? (Issues of
contextualization versus syncretism). "Indigenous" was a word once
used in connection with this issue.
- Is Jesus the only way to God and to salvation?
- Is there a theological basis for believing that God does impress or call some people to be
missionaries? If so, what is it?
- Can traditional non-Christian ceremonies be integrated into Christianity?
- How should Christians treat the reverence for ancestors expressed by the Chinese and other
- What is the irreducible minimum that one should consider to be the authentic gospel
message? That is, what should be the requirements for Christian baptism?
- What are the main issues a person from another religion should consider in converting to
- What about Jews? Should we try to convert them? Why or why not?
- What should we make of liberation theology's view that Jesus is a political hero to be
imitated as much as He is a divine figure to worship?
- Are all religions worshiping the same god/God even though each one says different things
- What do Jesus and Paul have to teach us in our encounters with other religions?
- What guidelines should one use in developing contextually appropriate materials and modes
of Christian expression for various cultural groups?
Is your group a healthy one?
-- Howard Culbertson
Tempted to cheat on schoolwork? Before you do, read SNU's
academic integrity policy
Exegesis paper Writing a
diamante poem 10/40
Window explanation and map Seeking God's
will? African martyr's commitment
Mission trip fundraising
Ten ways to ruin your mission trip
PowerPoint presentations used in classes and other venues