A source for the Christian community where individual Christians and church groups can practice loving others
Linwood and N. Western | Oklahoma City, OK 73109-1032 | (405) 239-6219
Mailing address: PO Box 2023, Oklahoma City, OK 73101
"A Compassionate Ministry - not an agency"
Nazarene Compassionate Ministries: Christian love is the distinguishing aspect in Love Link's specialized ministries to help the poor and homeless. When someone is given clothing, or food, or instructed in literacy, Love Link is trying to demonstrate Christ's love. It is for God's glory that we serve others. We trust the Holy Spirit to use each act of kindness to draw people closer to the Father.
Love Link Ministries ("Love Links" as it is frequently called) is located in the central part of Oklahoma City in the historic NuWay Clearners building.
Help publicize the ministry of Love Link
Your local Nazarene church can receive "10%" missions giving credit for your gifts even if they go directly to Love Link. Use the online point-to-point giving form on the Nazarene Global Ministry site.
Opportunities for service.
- Clothes closet ministry:
- At the beginning, Love Link had one room and bundles of clothes on tables and on the floor. Then we moved into a house with 188 linear feet of hanging space and several rooms for appliances and home products. In December, 1994, we moved into a much larger commercial building which greatly expanded our ability to serve the poor and the homeless. During one recent year we served local individuals and sent 3,000 pounds of clothing to flood victims, earthquake victims and other shelters in need.
- Food pantry:
- Each month we distribute sacks of fund to hundreds of families. The families served with food baskets range from the elderly to those with very small children. Our food sources are donations and purchases through the Oklahoma City Food Bank.
- We have had the privilege of serving out-of-town families who have had family members in area hospitals. We provide food, bedding, finances, and counseling. We also call as independent chaplains on those in hospitals who do not have pastoral guidance.
- Area universities including Mid-American Christian University, Southern Nazarene University and the University of Oklahoma have approved Love Link as a center where students may obtain credit in certain classes.
- Youth involvement:
- We offer youth groups (local and out-of-town) an opportunity for community projects and ministry. In one recent 12-month period, we utilized nearly 400 youth in more than 5,000 hours of community ministry.
- What is Love Link Ministries, Inc.?
- Love Link is a non-profit religious/social organization that draws together resources to operate a center to help people in need -- low income, unemployed, the sick, the elderly, the illiterate, and many, others. It is a partner ministry to Churches of the Nazarene in Oklahoma City.
- Where is Love Link located?
- It is central Oklahboma City at the corner of N. Western and Linwood Boulevard in the historic old NuWay Cleaners and Laundry building.
- Will Love Link give out money?
- No, we do not give out cash. A food pantry and thrift store stocked with donated goods are open at the center. Other needs will be met through direct contact with landlords, utility companies and others.
- How is Love Link Ministries supported?
- Love Link Ministries is supported by donations of money and goods from churches and by tax-deductible contributions from individuals and businesses.
- Haven't others been providing this kind of help?
- Yes. Caring for the poor and marginalized is part of the Christian heritage. We believe that by working together and sharing resources we can be even more effective in helping the needy and homeless.
Love Link is a Compassionate Ministry center of the Church of the Nazarene. One of its more well-known sister centers is Community of Hope in Washington, D.C.
Love Link newsletter
Love Link publishes a regular email newsletter. Sign up online for it at: lovelink.org
"Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man" — Mark 1:41
|Learning styles are diverse. Sometimes a crossword puzzle can be effective in helping learn some textbook material. [ read more ]|
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma
City, OK 73132
Last Updated: January 29, 2017 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/lovelink.htm