Ten Commandments for mission trip participants
What's new on this site?
Short term mission trip resources
Want more out of life?
Searching for God's will?
An African martyr's statement on commitment
Mission trip fund raising
10 ways to ruin mission trips
Youth in Mission
Nazarene Missions International resource pages
Linking to me
Healthy attitudes on short-term mission trips
- You shall not forget that you represent your home country and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- You shall not expect that things will be the same as they are at home, for you have left your home to find different things. [ mono-culturalism ]
- You shall not take minor things too seriously. Accepting things as they are paves the way for a good mission trip.
- You shall not judge all insert name of target people by the one person with whom you have had trouble.
- You shall not let other group members get on your nerves. You raised good money and set aside this time. So, enjoy yourself.
- You shall not be overly worried. The person who worries has no pleasures. Few things people worry about are ever fatal.
- Remember your passport (or other identification document) so that you know where it is at all times. A person without documents is a person without a country. [ passport info ]
- Blessed is the person who says "thank you" in any language. Verbal gratefulness is worth more than tips.
- When in insert name of country (Rome), do as the insert name of people (Romans) do. If in difficulty, use common sense and your native friendliness.
- Remember, you are a guest in insert name of country. He who treats his host with respect shall be treated as an honored guest.
Okay, so these aren't the 10 commandments given to Moses on Mt. Sinai. However, the principles enunciated here are foundational to success in short-term cross-cultural experiences. So, violating these 10 commandments (even if Moses didn't get them) can spoil your short-term experience and even tarnish your attempts to witness for Christ.
Ten ways to ruin short-term mission trips
|Want to purposefully have a bad mission trip? Here are 10 things that will guarantee you a bad experience! [ read more ]|
SNU missions course materials and syllabi
Howard Culbertson, Southern Nazarene University, 6729 NW 39th, Bethany, OK 73008 | Phone: 405-491-6693 - Fax: 405-491-6658
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: July 16, 2012 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/ten.htm