A snapshot of the ideal missions graduate from SNU
Seeking God's will?
Mission trip fund-raising
10 ways to ruin mission trips
Missions International resources
Adoniram Judson's son wrote that his dad -- pioneer missionary
to Burma -- was an ideal missionary because of his "scholarly tastes, affectionate disposition, and
fervent piety." That's a good combination. Here's a longer listing:
- The ideal graduate of SNU's mission program would be an individual of deep
spirituality. Key word: "Faithfulness"
- The person would be both curious and humble in his or her approach to cultures as well
possessing as a desire to interact with people very different from him or her. Key thought:
"Willingness to study and adapt"
- There would be an understanding of and an eagerness to work with contextualization issues. Key word: "Discernment"
- The person would be passionate about achieving long-term Kingdom goals rather than being
content with short-term successes.
- The person would be committed to the church as an organism and as an institution. Key
- The person would have a drive to speak well the language of the people to whom he or she
- The person could effectively communicate with home constituency about their ministry
vision, activities and needs. Key word: "Mobilizer"
- The person would feel at ease being in company with and in making friends with educated
people of other cultures
- The person would have a "clear missionary vision," i.e. a sense of what God has called the Church to do and where we are in terms of
fulfilling that call. Key thought: "On fire with love"
- The person would be, as was said of William Borden, a "striking
example of Christian stewardship." He or she would know how to husband resources as well as
being both strategic and creative in using what is available. Key word: "Versatile"
What should I read?
- In terms of raising support: People Raising: A Practical Guide to Raising
Support by William P. Dillon
- For a book on how missions should be empowering local people, read: The Great
Omission by Steve Saint
- For a book with some missions history and biblical background and just general passion:
Passion for the Heart of God by John Zumwalt
- For a look at how God prepares the hearts of people: Eternity in Their Hearts
by Don Richardson
- One that Youth in Mission promoted for its participants is: Compassion by
SNU missions course materials and syllabi
Howard Culbertson, 5901 NW 81st, Oklahoma City, OK 73132
| Phone: 405-740-4149 - Fax: 405-491-6658
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International License. When you use this material, an acknowledgment of the source would