SNU School of theology and ministry
"The things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others." -- 2 Timothy 2:2
Current SNU religion department faculty members
The professors in Southern Nazarene's School of Theology and Ministry have more than 110 years of combined teaching experience and almost 100 combined years of pastoral experience as well as almost 35 years of cross-cultural missionary service.
- Hal Cauthron
- Christian education director for 2 years; pastor for 2 years; on Religion Faculty at Trevecca Nazarene University for 16 years; missionary (serving as teacher, academic dean, and college rector [president/principal]) for 6 1/2 years in Africa; SNU Theology Faculty now 9 years as of January 1, 2004, as Professor of New Testament and Department Chair. Dr. Cauthron preaches at every opportunity (including at Bethany First Church on Wed night and Sunday night); holds faith-promise mission services; gives morning Bible studies at camp meeting; teaches (now for about 7 years) a senior adult SS class at BFC (which includes 2 retired DSs, 6 retired or former missionaries, 5 university teachers, and 4 or 5 retired pastors). He also serves as SNU's representative on the Board of Directors of Reaching Our City, the Nazarene urban ministry which Jerry Appleby directs. He is also a member of NW Oklahoma District Board of Ministerial Credentials. He has written extensively for the Word Action Adult Curriculum from NPH, most recently, 9 commentaries for the lessons on the book of Revelation. He was Church Board Secretary at Nashville, TN First Church, with Pastor Millard Reed and served on the Tennessee District Board of Ministerial Studies.
- Tim Crutcher
- Dr. Crutcher worked at Nazarene Headquarters during seminary, and served in KC First Church. He was a missionary in Belgium during doctoral studies at University of Louvain and then a missionary teacher at Africa Nazarene University in Kenya. He is currently active in Piedmont Church of the Nazarene on NW Oklahoma District, preaching at pastor's invitation. He does occasional pulpit supply and is in process of applying to become US Air Force Reserve chaplain. Dr. Crutcher came to SNU in the fall of 2003 as Assistant Professor of Church History and Christian Ethics. He currently serves as SNU representative on planning committee for the December, 2004, Nazarene Theology Conference for North America.
- Howard Culbertson
- Dr. Culbertson pastored in Texas and was a missionary in Italy and in Haiti for 15 years. He came to SNU in the fall of 1988 as Garner Professor of Missions. He frequently holds faith-promise weekends in local churches and has been interim pastor at Amarillo (TX) Valleyview, Choctaw, OKC Penn Avenue, Moore and Piedmont. Dr. Culbertson is co- director of SNU's Commission Unto Mexico and recruiter of student volunteers for Youth in Mission and for cross-cultural experience after college graduation.
- Doug Forsberg
- Urban ministries pastor in Florida and Texas for several years; minister to singles and compassionate ministry leader, then associate pastor at Bethany First Church for about 9 years; founder and first Board Chair for Reaching Our City, which eventuated in the founding of the New Life Community Church on NW 10th in OKC (on SW Oklahoma District). Professor Forsberg is now the lead pastor in Tulakes Community urban ministry project on NW Oklahoma District. He began at SNU as Assistant Professor of Christian Education in the fall of 2003.
- Stephen Green
- Dr. Green has pastored Nazarene churches in Camden and Hendersonville, Tennessee. He has been the senior pastor at Springdale Church of the Nazarene in Cincinnati, OH; Pasadena, CA First Church and OKC, OK First Church. A graduate of SNU, he is a frequent lecturer at pastor's workshops in USA and in Brazil and speaker at PALCON leadership conferences. Dr. Green came to SNU in the fall of 1998 as W. N. King Professor of Theology and Bible.
- Marty Michelson
- Professor Michelson holds M.A. degrees from Point Loma Nazarene University and SNU. He has been the children's minister at Bethany, OK Calvary Church of the Nazarene, at Colorado Springs, CO Church of the Nazarene, and at OKC, OK First Church of the Nazarene. He has served as interim pastor at New Life Community Church of the Nazarene on SW Oklahoma District and at at Kingfisher, OK First Church of the Nazarene on NW Oklahoma District. The SNU Professor of Old Testament, Marty Michelson is a member of the NW Oklahoma District Ministerial Studies Board. [ sermon ideas from Professor Michelson ]
- Brint Montgomery
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, Brint Montgomery came to SNU teaching part-time and then moved to full-time. Dr. Montgomery is the former pastor / director of Nazarene Student Center at University of Oklahoma. He was ordained on SW Oklahoma District. He has taught classes in Oklahoma School of Ministry, the cooperative effort by Okla districts to offer the course of study at non-college level. He is currently an active member of Yukon, OK First Church. He preaches for the pastor as pulpit supply and as other opportunities are given.
- Doug Samples
- Dr. Samples came to SNU in the fall of 1998 as Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology and Director of Ministry Internship Program at SNU. He pastored for 20 years in Michigan, Ohio, and California (Fresno and Bakersfield). He spent four years as minister to college students at OKC First Church and has served as Interim Pastor of Waterloo Road Church of the Nazarene on NW Oklahoma District. Currently, he serves on the denominational Course of Study Advisory Committee for North America. He has served on planning committee for PALCON, 2004. He is a member of the NW Oklahoma District Ministerial Credentials Board.
Here's a 2008 fall semester photo of the people I teach with at Southern Nazarene University:
- Left to right: Tim Crutcher, Hal Cauthron, Brint Montgomery, Marty Michelson, Lori Cable (administrative assistant), Steve Green, Doug Forsberg, Don Dunnington, Howard Culbertson, Doug Samples.
Years of teaching experience of SNU's current religion faculty members
Cauthron — 40 years
Crutcher — 11 years
Culbertson — 22 years
Dunnington — 20 years
Forsberg — 9 years
Green — 21 years
Michelson — 13 years
Montgomery — 15 years
Samples — 13 years
TOTAL -- 164 years
|"What a wonderful help it's been to find your web site." [ read more ]|
Howard Culbertson, Southern Nazarene University, 6729 NW 39th, Bethany, OK 73008 | Phone: 405-491-6693 - Fax: 491-6658
Copyright © 2000, 2001 - Last Updated: February 6, 2012 | URL: http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/faculty.htm